POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Lizard skins or condensation droplets patterns : Lizard skins or condensation droplets patterns Server Time
20 May 2024 12:11:29 EDT (-0400)
  Lizard skins or condensation droplets patterns
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 7 Sep 2000 12:59:07
Message: <39B7C8C8.3D5EB9D4@inapg.inra.fr>
I've been wondering about how to make these, either as a pigment
pattern, or at least as a function enabling to position and scale
objects. Basically, it looks like crackle, but with zones of increasing
or decreasing cell sizes. I've made  experiments using a blob density
function that attracts/repels the elements (spheres) according to their
proximity to centres. The size (radius) of each object is afterwards
calculated as the minimum distance from its 8 neighbours (it's in 2D).
It works, but it's very difficult to control to obtain a desired effect
(like a pinching or bulging at a particular place). Anyone would have
pointers to algorithms, or ideas ???

G.